The error codes 0x80070002 or 0x80070003 appear for a number of reasons while you are using your Windows XP (or for that matter, Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 Server). One of the most common occurrences is when you are working with Windows Updates.
FIX 0x80070002 Error in Windows 10
This error can occur whenever you try to update from either:
- The Microsoft Update Web Sites.
- Or, through Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server.
- Or, through an SMS server.
- Or, through Windows Automatic Updates.
The usual reason behind this error is because a mismatch has occurred between what Windows thinks that it has downloaded to your computer, and what has actually been downloaded. And this results in a situation that causes Windows Update to be stuck and it keeps showing this error. This can happen because of a network problem during the data transfer, or an intermittent Internet connection can also cause this.
A very simple and straightforward mechanism to get rid of this problem is to reset the DataStore where Windows keeps this information which has become mismatched.
How to Fix 0x80070002 Error in Windows 10?
Step 1: Disable the Windows Automatic Update Service
- Go to Control Panel (accessible from your Start Menu).
- Find the Administrative Tools folder and open it.
- Inside it, find the Service icon, and open it.
- In the Window that opens, locate the Automatic Update Service, right-click it, and choose stop (as shown in the screenshot below).
- Leave the Services window open (as we will need it later)
Step 2: Reset the DataStore
- Open My Computer (from your Start Menu).
- Locate your Windows folder (typically C:\Windows) and double click to open the folder.
- Locate the SoftwareDistribution folder and double click to open the folder.
- Now locate the DataStore folder and double click to open the folder.
- Delete all contents of this folder.
- Close the window.
Step 3: Resume the Updates Service
- Go back to the Service Window.
- Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
- Choose Start (this may take some time, but it will start). Screenshot below:
This should fix the error that you have been receiving. However, If this method doesn’t fix your error then there are more methods, which we are going to add soon. Microsoft explains this as a problem that occurs in mini-filter-based products that use the Microsoft Filter Manager Technology. A status code problem can cause the computer to show this error.
Microsoft has released a patch that is aimed at resolving this problem. This patch and more details about this error condition are located on the Microsoft Support Site here.
Learn How to Fix -805305975 Error in File System Error >>
While there are still other situations that can cause these errors (especially after upgrading to newly released Service Packs) they are not related to problems with the Update Service.